Lead Technical Artist
A Lead Technical Artist is the main gateway between the code, art, and tech teams. The Lead Technical Artist should have a combination of strong creative/visual aesthetics and technical knowledge. We are looking for a candidate with extensive experience in every aspect of the content creation pipeline and someone who will apply ingenuity to the Saga of Lucimia MMORPG. This individual will have a proven track record of successfully working collaboratively, solving pipeline problems, and creating and improving cutting-edge tools and processes on art teams, and game production experience in a lead role.
This is a work-for-hire, contract position. We fully support a remote work force, and encourage contractors from anywhere in the world to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Day to Day Tasks
- Coordinate the technical art department, prioritize features, and work with all required team members to achieve common goals across the departments
- Constantly review the content creation pipeline to identify and fix any possible pipeline or technology deficiencies for the art department
- Take requests, prioritize, and delegate work across the Technical Art department while maintaining a consistent task list and priorities for the technical art team
- Create best-practices documentation for art team on creating great-looking optimized game assets (models, textures, shaders, lighting, FX, etc.)
- Use diagnostic tools to examine current content, game performance, and identify areas for improvement
- Work with art team/engineers to develop/optimize shaders, improve rendering, lighting, and post processing to enhance visual quality and better performance
- Assist art team members with production tools and upgrades.
- Collaborate with art and engineering staff on art pipeline improvements
- R&D complex game art elements
- Assist in trouble-shooting and organization with outsourced art partners as needed
- Remain up-to-date on tool and tech developments to identify ways to improve quality and increase art production speed
- 4+ years’ experience in video games as a lead or technical artist
- Shipped at least 1 AAA or Indie title in a senior/lead role
- Great knowledge of Photoshop and Maya
- Experienced with PBR engines like idTech, CryEngine, Unreal, or Unity
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Knowledge of Maya API and programming skills in Python and C++ preferred
- GPU analysis (Using Pix)
- Very strong problem-solving skills
- Act as a role model and mentor technical art team
- Provide team performance evaluations
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Animation, Game Development or Computer Science
- Experience developing MMORPGs or multiplayer games
- Knowledge of PyQt/PySide
- Knowledge of PyMel
- Knowledge of Houdini (SideFx)
- PBR material authoring in one or more authoring software
- Substance Designer
- Substance Painter
Requirements for Applying
- Cover letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Stormhaven Studios, LLC
- What games you are currently playing
- Portfolio – Only digital applications will be accepted such as a website, blog, or online album. Physical media will not be accepted.
- A paid test may be requested during the interview process
Stormhaven Studios, LLC is a global company committed to growing our contractors and employees along with the business. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment with a diverse and inclusive culture of people from around the world, with training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything to us. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. We look forward to having you on the team!
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.