As the Art Director on the Saga of Lucimia MMORPG, your primary responsibilities are to establish a cohesive art vision in support of the project’s creative direction, manage the art team and the production of art assets, maintain the art schedule, and ensure that the production process is flowing smoothly. In this role, you’ll be managing a team of talented artists while working with other team leaders to ensure delivery to schedule of top-quality artwork while maintaining the creative vision of the department. As the advocate for the art team, you’ll be working with the development team on tools planning, and will help plan in the growth strategy of the company.
This is a work-for-hire, contract position. We fully support a remote work force, and encourage contractors from anywhere in the world to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Day to Day Tasks:
- Collaborate closely with the Creative Director to define artistic direction, style, and high quality production standards in the development of a polished AAA cross-platform game
- Review all art and ensure that it properly fits requirements for unifying the art look of the game
- Set up and maintain guidelines and quality standards for the art department
- Assist production in building and tracking art team budget, and provide time and cost estimates for budgeting
- Partner with the Creative Director and Executive Producer to ensure that art priorities and processes are effectively defined to meet production goals
- Define workflow of the art pipeline with the technical team, prioritizing and conducting risk assessment of new technology, practices and features under consideration while striving to remaining within performance budgets
- Create and maintain project schedule, based on budget while providing the team with clear communication of work assignments and current status with respect to time remaining, upcoming goals, and changes
- Manage art outsourcing pipelines
- Manage all hiring needs for art, training, coaching and career development
- Foster camaraderie and respect between Art and other parts of the team
Your Background and Experience
- Excellent illustration skills, deep understanding of composition, anatomy, color theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette
- Able to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and to full implementation, if needed
- Has owned the artistic vision of a project, from concept to shipped game
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-oriented attitude
- Strong understanding of digital content creation tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter
- A passion for video games
- Understanding of the distinctive Saga of Lucimia visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, or 3D Design
- Minimum 5 years overall experience with 2+ years in a management role
- Thorough understanding of the art department architecture and best practices
- Excellent at modeling, texturing, and lighting
- Strong technical understanding of online games and their specialized art requirements
- Strong ability to problem solve and to lead by example
- Institute an environment of collaboration and learning
- Experience working with and mentoring both internal art teams as well as outsourcing partners
- Proven track record in art management with art credits on quality game products
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience modeling and texturing 3D assets using Autodesk 3ds Max and Adobe Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs) for game projects.
- Working knowledge of 3D art techniques and software packages such as Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3ds Max, or Zbrush.
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including, but not limited to: figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration.
- You embrace your inner nerd, be it through cosplay, tabletop roleplaying, or whatever else that ignites your passion.
Requirements for Applying:
- Cover letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Stormhaven Studios, LLC
- What games you are currently playing
- Portfolio – Only digital applications will be accepted such as a website, blog, or online album. Physical media will not be accepted.
- A paid art test may be requested during the interview process
Stormhaven Studios, LLC is a global company committed to growing our contractors and employees along with the business. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment with a diverse and inclusive culture of people from around the world, with training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything to us. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. We look forward to having you on the team!
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.